Saturday, April 5, 2008

Roasted Beets

DISCLAIMER: When I categorize dishes "Vegetarian", I standardize it on the absence of poultry and meat such as chicken, duck, turkey, beef, or pork. I don't consider ingredients such as eggs which come from poultry or seafood vegetarian because I know many vegetarians who eat these ingredients without complaint.

Being Asian, I wasn't exposed to beets as a child. It isn't my favorite vegetable, but it's super healthy and seasonal. So I try to take advantage of it when I can. I haven't had beets much, so I was unsure how to make them. But I love roasted vegetables, so I decided to start there.

Bunch of beets, washed and peeled
Few garlic cloves with the skin left on
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Place beets in a large baking pan and toss with extra-virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic with the skins on. Roast for 45 minutes.

No comments: