Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Roasted Fingerling Potatoes

I like potatoes, and I like trying new things. Fingerling potatoes were a new concept I wanted to try. I first came across them on the 30 Minute Meal show. I don't know what I was expecting. They aren't bad tasting, but I find them rather unmemorable. The only appeal about these potatoes are the small size which makes cooking time faster. If you're also tired of the same thing but prefer something familiar, this potato is a healthy balance. It was dry but not overly starchy in a way that makes you thirsty. I believe the cooking time had to be altered for this recipe, which is odd because many reviewers complained that the temperature and cooking time was too high. I actually found that I had to increase the roasting time. So I suggest a close observation and take it out when it looks ready. I waited until the skin looked slightly shriveled to ensure that it has thoroughly cooked through. I actually like the look because without its wrinkled image, it appears similar to its raw state. That's not as appetizing looking.

2 lbs. fingerling potatoes
6 cloves of garlic with skin-on
Drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.

Spread potatoes out on a cookie sheet. Scatter garlic over potatoes. Coat lightly with extra-virgin olive oil and season potatoes with salt and pepper. Roast until tender, about 20 minutes.

No comments: