Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Purple Potatoes

One of my New Year's Resolution is to try new foods. I'm a curious and open person, but I realized that I don't try as many new things as I would like. And food is such a simple way to achieve my goals and satisfy my curiosity. I was surprised to learn that many of us conform to this bigoted belief that produce only comes in the standardized color we're usually exposed to at the supermarket. But tomatoes aren't just red. They come in vibrant yellows, oranges, greens, and pinks. Beets have a selection of the dark reds, deep purple hues, and sunny oranges. Well, potatoes are no exception. I was familiar with Russets, baby, red, and Idaho potatoes, but purple ones were a new concept for me. Since purple is my favorite color, I thought this would be a perfect experiment. The idea that potatoes have a nutty flavor also appealed to me. I followed a recipe from the Food Network. I believe it was the Roasted Peruvian Potatoes. I, unfortunately, don't have a picture of the recipe, but I do have this gorgeous picture of raw purple potatoes cut open. They look like gorgeous jewels. They remind me of an edible version of amethyst. So, it was settled. I picked up a bag at my local Farmer's Market. Here's the recipe I used:

Roasted Peruvian Potatoes

2 lbs. Peruvian purple potatoes, scrubbed
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
A sprinkle of dried thyme

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Halve the potatoes and place them in a bowl. Cover them with water if you cut them ahead of time.

In another bowl, combine extra-virgin olive oil, garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper. Thoroughly drain potatoes and add them to the oil mixture. Spread the potatoes on a foil lined cookie sheet, and roast for 30 minutes until potatoes are tender.

This recipe is easy to follow and worth trying. It wasn't a bad recipe, but I doubt it's the kind of flavor people jump up and down about. It does have a nutty flavor. But when I tasted it, it wasn't the kind of "nutty" flavor that I was thinking of. It has an indescribable flavor for me, but in Asian cuisine, you've probably tasted it before. The flavor is apparent but rather subtle. The flavor is unique for potatoes. I think it would be hard to pair with. I wouldn't recommend making it for a dinner party because it's not what I consider a "safe recipe." Maybe pair it with lean chicken? It's not heavy on the starchy texture like a lot of other potatoes. It's an unusual potato worth trying, but it's not very practical. I can't imagine too many different ways you can cook this.

No comments: