Sunday, April 6, 2008

Soft-Boiled Eggs, Blanched Asparagus, and Hollandaise Sauce

DISCLAIMER: When I categorize dishes "Vegetarian", I standardize it on the absence of poultry and meat such as chicken, duck, turkey, beef, or pork. I don't consider ingredients such as eggs which come from poultry or seafood vegetarian because I know many vegetarians who eat these ingredients without complaint.

I made this as a midnight "snack." I was craving something light and healthy, but I couldn't pinpoint exactly what I wanted. I knew I didn't want to become over-involved in a recipe, but I did want to work for it. My mind and appetite was a little scattered, hence the variety. Eggs are generally an easy ingredient to work with, light and filling at the same time. I always seem to have them on hand. They're easy to make, and yet I rarely take advantage of the opportunity. I wanted to try something new. I love runny yolks, so the idea of the soft-boiled eggs really appealed to me. Asparagus were used as dippers in a recipe I found online. I figured the timing was appropriate. I was curious to try the unfamiliar white variety in my fridge anyways. The hollandaise sauce just seemed to make sense. I think it was the popular asparagus and hollandaise combo that intrigued me. The Hollandaise Sauce recipe I followed was overly buttery and uses less yolks than other recipes. I personally don't recommend following the recipe I'll list. I'm listing it just for the fuck of it, not because I like the recipe. It was a disappointing first hollandaise sauce experience.

-"Softboiled" Eggs

For such a simple recipe, you may wonder why I'm practically offering a tutorial, but it's important. Once you know the rules, it's easy, but you must follow them if you want to achieve success. First lesson: "Softboiled eggs" aren't actually boiled. They're simmered for a minimum of three minutes. The temperature of the egg is crucial because it’s only simmered for such a brief amount of time. Eggs that have been refrigerated should be removed at least half an hour before you cook them because the eggs must be at room temperature. On the other hand, you can run the eggs under hot water from your sink for a few minutes and add an extra minute to your cooking time. It’s also preferable to use older eggs, as fresh eggs are difficult to peel. Be sure to use the right size pan. You don’t want the eggs clashing into one another and chipping away at its shells. Fill the pan with enough water to cover the eggs, plus an extra inch with a teaspoon of salt. Bring the water to a boil. In the meantime, use a needle and prick the bottom of the shell. You have to do this or else the egg will crack under the pressure, but a small prick will allow steam to escape. Once the water reaches a gentle boil, careful lower the egg into the pan with a tablespoon. As the water reaches boiling point again, adjust the temperature to a simmer and begin timing. Large eggs should be cooked for four minutes for a runny yolk and six minutes for a slightly runny yolk. Medium sized eggs should reduce the cooking time by one minute, and extra large eggs should add a minute. Remove the eggs promptly, and run them under cold running or immerse them in a bowl of very cold water to stop the cooking. Once the eggs slightly cool, chip the top end of the egg and expose the runny yolk. Use the asparagus sticks or sliced toast as a dipping stick. Such long instructions, but it's not so bad, right?

-White Asparagus-

I can't remember the details. The instructions came with the asparagus, something along the lines of blanch it for three to five minutes? Three minutes wasn't adequate. The texture was still crisp and raw tasting. I like a more cooked flavor. I drizzled it with some hollandaise sauce.

-Hollandaise Sauce-

1/2 cup butter
2 tbsp water
2 egg yolks
Salt and white pepper
Juice of 1/2 lemon

Melt the butter, then skim the foam from the surface with a spoon. Let it cool until tepid. Place a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water set on a low heat. Make sure the bottom of the bowl isn't in direct contact with the hot water. Place water and yolks with a pinch each of salt and white pepper in the bowl. Whisk the ingredients to a light and frothy mixture that holds the trail of the whisk, 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat.

No comments: