Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Tuna Noodle Casserole

DISCLAIMER: When I categorize dishes "Vegetarian", I standardize it on the absence of poultry and meat such as chicken, duck, turkey, beef, or pork. I don't consider ingredients such as eggs which come from poultry or seafood vegetarian because I know many vegetarians who eat these ingredients without complaint.

I must admit that I didn't particularly like this recipe. I found the tuna to be dry and the flavor was bland and slightly tough. Perhaps it was the brand I used, but I was under the impression that Chicken Under the Sea is a favorable brand. Maybe I'm just not a fan of canned tuna. I used to be, but it has been a long time. And this was cooked in the oven. I still think this recipe is worth listing especially for tuna lovers. I wouldn't mind remaking this by substituting tuna with chicken or something like that. I can be a huge fan of casseroles, but I am new to them. So I'm not making an informed decision as I say this, but I think that with more exposure, this will probably not be on my top list. I'm mostly attracted to it because of its simplicity. Ingredients are commonly found in most kitchens. Since a lot of people find difficulty coming up with recipes, simple go-to dishes like these are ideal.

1 can of tuna, drained
1 can cream of mushroom
1 can peas
8 or 9 oz. of noodles
3/4 cup milk

Cook pasta according to package directions and drain. In a casserole dish, mix in tuna, cream of mushroom, and milk. Add the noodles and carefully stir in the peas. Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees F for 25 minutes.

As I typed out the instructions for this recipe, I started to remember the flavors more. Even through the photo, you can tell that the pasta looks a little dried out in some areas. Well, that was my mistake. I should have naturally gone for flatter noodles or, at the very least, stay away from choices that expand so much. In the future, if I use large pastas like that, I'll use less noodles, substitute with chicken, maybe add more soup, and introduce new ingredients such as broccoli and mushrooms. That sounds good.

No comments: