Sunday, April 6, 2008

Curried Apple Couscous

DISCLAIMER: When I categorize dishes "Vegetarian", I standardize it on the absence of poultry and meat such as chicken, duck, turkey, beef, or pork. I don't consider ingredients such as eggs which come from poultry or seafood vegetarian because I know many vegetarians who eat these ingredients without complaint.

Quite frankly, I'm not a fan of sweet flavors in main dishes, although I'm a die hard for sweets. This recipe was no exception. I only chose to make it because I came across an abundant amount of apples, and I needed to use them up. I figured this was a free opportunity to test out new recipes. After all, new experiences are good for the mind, and our taste preferences change over time. I found out that in this case, my taste hasn't changed, but it was worth the experience. The recipe isn't bad. It's just not a flavor I'm into. It is quite filling, though. So if you like the curried apple flavor, I recommend this.

4 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tbsp curry powder
1 medium apple, cored and chopped
1 cup couscous
1 3/4 cup water
1 tsp sea salt

In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add 3 tbsp of butter, curry powder, and a couple generous pinches of salt. Cook for a minute or until the spices are fragrant. This happens very quickly. Stir in the chopped apples and cook for about 3 minutes, enough time for the apples to soften a bit and absorb some of the curry. Scoop the apples from the pan, and set aside in a separate bowl.

In the same pan, again over medium-high heat, add the remaining tablespoon of butter. Add water and salt. Bring to a boil, stir in the couscous, cover, and remove from heat. Steam for 5 to 10 minutes and then use a fork to fluff up the couscous. Stir the apples back in. Season with more salt and curry powder to taste, if necessary.

The original recipe called for scallions and fresh mint. I hate scallions, so I omitted those. And I usually don't have mint on hand. The recipe is very filling and easy to make. Be really careful because the curry powder heats up quickly. If you're not careful, it'll burn. If your stove is on the hotter side, I actually recommend cooking on medium heat. This recipe is a great way to use up apples a little past its prime or the bland flavored versions. The curry powder enlivens the flavor of dull tasting apples and the water rehydrates it.

No comments: