Friday, February 17, 2012

Braised Bok Choi




















Bok choi, much like ginger, is one of my favorite foods except I find myself often forgetting that because for some odd reason this incredibly easy to make ingredient I perceive as such a hassle. I wonder what's broken in my mind to think such a thing about such a simple recipe. I also find myself googling the instructions EVERY TIME I make it! What's up with that? Well I follow the recipe from Stemay Kitchen. I seem unable to copy the copy link. I found it by googling how to cook bok choi and clicked on the steamkitchen.com link. You can do the same if you'd like to view the original recipe, which I recommend because there are pictures. It'll make following those instructions far more appealing than mine.








Bok choi (I used a bagful already packaged from the farmer's market - the smaller ones are sweeter)




Garlic




Ginger




Extra-virgin olive oil




3 tbsp water




Sesame oil








1) Wash the bok choi as dirt can be imbedded in the root. Remove any damaged outer leaves and cut off the ends. That'll make cleaning the bok choi much easier, too.








2) Over medium high heat, add extra-virgin olive oil to lightly coat the pan. Then add minced garlic and ginger. I used a microplane and threw in the amount I desired. You basically want it to slightly cover the pan. Then again I flavor heavily with garlic and ginger. So adjust it to your preference.








3) I cook the garlic and ginger until it becomes aromatic, and the garlic becomes slightly translucent. I don't wait until the garlic lightly browns because by then I feel like I move too quickly and everything burns. If you feel that way, don't wait until it gets to that point. When you add the water and put a lid over the pan, it'll cook adequately.








4) Coat the bok choi in the garlic ginger sauce. I did this for about two minutes, but apparently you're just supposed to immediately add 3 tbsp water or chicken stock. Cover right away for a few minutes until water evaporates. The original recipe calls for covering it only a minute before you can enjoy this dish. Drizzle with sesame oil and salt to taste. (Sometimes I don't add the sesame oil if I want the ginger flavor to dominate).

No comments: